Water conservation and restrictions
In summer we get less rain than the rest of the year.
However, the amount of water people use everyday increases mainly due to activities like watering gardens, property maintenance and filling up swimming pools. This puts pressure on our water supply.
Our Water Alerts and Restrictions help us manage the demand on the town water supply so there is enough water for everyone to use during this time.
If you notice a water leak in your street please contact us straight away on 0800 932 4357.
Te Kuiti, Piopio, Mokau and Benneydale are on LEVEL 1 – CONSERVATION. Updates are published on our website www.waitomo.govt.nz
Conserve Water: Use water wisely.
Sprinklers between 6-8am and 6-8pm. Hand-held hosing is allowed anytime.
Restriction: Reduce non-essential water use
Use sprinklers on alternate days between 6-8am and 6-8pm. Hand held hosing is allowed at anytime.
Restriction: Take all practical steps to reduce your water usage
No sprinklers allowed. Hand-held hosing only.
Restriction: Reduce your water use immediately
Essential water use only. There is a complete ban on any outdoor water use.
Water saving tips:
- Always use a twist or trigger nozzle when using your hose.
- Use a timer with your sprinkler or irrigation system and be mindful where you position it so that you are watering plants, not paved areas.
- Use a cover on permanent and portable pools to prevent evaporation and use appropriate chemicals to keep the water fresh.
- Use a broom and/or bucket to clean hard surfaces such as footpaths and driveways.
- Wash your car/boat/caravan on an area of lawn.
- Shorten your shower.
- Put a bucket in the shower while you’re waiting for the water to warm up, and use the water you catch for watering plants, flushing the toilet or cleaning.
- Use water from your rain water tank or grey water wherever possible.