Reduce, reuse, recycle tips for the holiday season
- Give memories as a gift, like a ticket to a summer concert, activity or experience!
- Send an electronic Christmas card.
- Wrap your presents in reusable bags.
- Use a Christmas stocking or recycled paper when wrapping smaller presents.
- Look for present options with no packaging.
- Avoid food waste by making a meal plan and buying only what you need.
- Use left-overs for breakfast the next day.
- Cut up old Christmas cards to use as gift tags for presents.
- Save wrapping paper, ribbons and gift bags to use again.
- Make a gift using items around the house, up-cycle a piece of furniture or bake Christmas treats.
- Grow your own native Christmas tree ready for December each year.
- Get into the Christmas spirit by donating unwanted toys or drop them into the
- Recycle shop at Waitomo District Landfill.
- Recycle your glass, cans and plastic bottles in your green bin during the festive season.
- Large volumes can be recycled at the Waitomo District Landfill.
- Separate cardboard packaging for recycling or re-using.
- Put paper or cards (no glitter or foil) in your green bin for collection.
- Fruit and vegetable peelings left over from your festive fare can be composted or put in your worm farm if you have one.
- Donate clean, unwanted clothing to friends, neighbours or a charity store near you.